Sunday, February 15, 2009

February 17, 2009

I do not recall the date that I first heard about that dreadful day in our future concerning the future of analog television transmission. I do know that for many months now I have heard all about this day known as February 17th, 2009. I realize that everyone has a need to know about the methods that they will need to emply to receive television transmissions. But, already, enough is enough. I applied for my Coupon to acquire a Converter Box on 5 January 2009. I received the coupon on February 3rd or 4th. Because the dreaded day was fast approaching I traveled to HH Gregg on Friday, February 13th to acquire my conversion box. After I wrote a check for $13.67 I was handed the box with the Converter. I asked if all the necessary cables were included and I was assured that they were. Additionally I asked if I needed any special expertise to install this system. Again, I was assured that I would be able to perform the necessary connections.

I proceeded to my home and hooked everything up and it did work as advertised. I had to let the system scan the over the air stations that broadcast in High Definition Digital. Here you can see me enjoying the Digital Signal from one local electronic media outlet.

I dread the fact that our government has now saw fit to delay the implementation of this new system. Does that mean that I, as well as everyone else who adhered to the well published schedule will now be subjected to more crawls on our TV screens and even more verbal announcements about the conversion to digital transmissions? Unfortunately, we will most likely have to watch and listen for additional information until the June 2009 deadline is past. I for one feel that our Government has given everyone adequate time to make the switch so none of us should have to be subjected to an additional four months of special announcements.

Of course I could shut off my Television until June 12, 2009.



2 comments:

William said...

wow Alan, that is an old TV! May I suggest to the Mrs. "Flower Child" that she get you a new one for your birthday so that you can enjoy the quality of the new digital picture!

Alan said...

Please be aware that this system is a back up for when COX Cable is out of order such as the days after the famed Mother's Day Tornado of 2008. We had electricity, but no Cable so we used rabbit ears. Now, if and when the Cable goes down we still have a TV ready to go.

The main TV we own is quite high tech and has a great picture. Thanks for the encouragement for my Bride to get me an appropriate Birthday Gift.