Sunday, February 22, 2009

"Power"

Many, many years ago I lived in Northeast Iowa. I was a member of a family that raised six children and owned 80 acres of prime grade "A" Iowa Farm land. I have fond memories of 1949 when my Dad acquired a 1949 Packard Clipper, Straight Eight Engine which developed 135 horsepower.
I was only nine years old at the time, but this 1949 Packard was the auto I used to obtain my driver's license. Years later I learned that the Packard Motorcar was a symbol of the rich and powerful. Well the truth as to why my Dad acquired this Packard is that it was cheaper than a Plymouth. If I remember corrently the 1949 Packard Clipper was sold for $2200.00. After World War II everyone who needed a new car placed their name on a list. As a young farmer with four children, with number five on the way, my Dad acquired this Packard from a new dealer who was just awarded the dealership.
The image above is a 1934 Packard and not quite like the 1949 model. I have since learned that the definition of "Power" or "Powerful" Family as regards farmers is the fact that in order to be powerful you have to own the land on both sides of the road.
The automobile pictures above currently resides on a Plantation in South Georgia where it has spent all of it's days since it was manufactured. The plantation covers thousands of acres so I would say that it's owner is a "Powerful Family."
As regards the Flower Child's Heritage, the Packard was the best buy for the money in 1949 and it is only recently that my Nephews in Northeast Iowa have obtained power. They now own farm land on both sides of Kale Avenue.

No comments: