Friday, September 04, 2009

Customer Service versus Branding

Many years ago, 1966 to be exact, I was ordered to perform Shore Duty with the U. S. Navy in London, England. Once I arrive there I attempted to open a Check Account at "The Bank of America." I had several reasons for doing this. The name sounded great. I was a Citizen of the United States of America and the Vietnam War was on everyone's mind so it just seemed to be the right thing to do. I entered the lobby of this Bank and inquired of a Teller as to what were the requirements for opening a check account. I was immediately informed that "The Bank of America" did not cater to members of the U. S. Military.
As I left the Bank of America I noted that there was a "Barclays Bank" across the street so I went in and inquired about opening a Checking Account. I informed them that I was a U. S. Navy individual on shore duty at 7 North Audley Street right next to Grovner's Square and they quickly informed me that they could meet my checking account needs. I could write checks in sterling or dollars. The value would be determined when my Check would clear the bank. Needless to say I enjoyed a three year tour of duty and was most pleased with Barclays Bank.
Which brings me to the title of this Post. No matter how much an organization works to promote their brand, they must also realize that Customer Service is vital. One bad experience with The Bank of America has remained with me for 43 years and I will never open a Checking Account or any other Bank Account with them.
Additionally, if any organization with which I currently conduct my limited business fails to meet my needs or delivers poor customer service you can be assured that I will find an appropriate organization with which to expend my limited resources.
For example here in Macon I conduct all of my vehicle tire business with a local, family owned organization. I have never seen a commercial or ad to promote this business, except "Word of Mouth," which is how I found out about them in 1981 when I retired here in Middle Georgia from the U. S. Navy.
In summary, Branding is vital, but may I remind everyone that "Customer Service" is essential.

No comments: