Sunday, October 18, 2009

Confederate Roses


These are not true roses, however they do bear the name of Confederate Rose. The Flower Child enjoys these plants which bloom every Fall when the weather turns cooler.


The three plant we have were obtained from my Bride's aunt many, many years ago. I really did not appreciate them or know much about them. I planted them in the shady area in the East Gardens here in our West Bibb County Home. They would spring forth each spring with a stem and a few leaves. Then one year I planted them in an area where they receive an abundance of afternoon sun.

As you can ascertain here, they grow quite tall. These are at least eight feet tall and the blooms range from pink, white or red. The interesting aspect about the flowers is that they can be several colors on the same plant. They do not overwinter. I cut them back for the first frost and they grow rapidly each Spring to provide yet another season of beauty.





No comments: