Friday, October 23, 2009

ETHICS
I understand the word "ethics" in life to mean to be able to discern what is wrong or what is right.
Ethics in one's personal life is probably far different that Ethics for Governmental Workers and our duly Elected Lawmakers.
Thus the conversation could go on, and on for days. A more simple approach to defining "Ethics" would be for everyone to apply the "Golden Rule" in every aspect of their lives.
So you are wondering why is the Flower Child bringing up this subject today. Recent observations of individuals in my life, social, religious, work place, and hobby organizations of which I am a member of cause me to consider how everyone, myself included, should conduct their daily affairs.
I could even discuss ethics in a marriage relationship here. As I see it, ethics, involves everyone in every facet of their daily lives. It is not an item or concept that should even be turned off or turned on only when it is convenient.
During a recent appearance to the U. S. Congress our President was called a lier. As you know this caused an avalanche of commentary in the media.
I could go on with more examples of situations where the lack of ethics is causing many of the problems in our society today. Some would call this situation a result of "sin." I would certainly agree.
The sad thing about this "not telling the truth" is that the lie is usually found out. Then the person who has not told the truth certainly looses creditability. Certainly not a good situation for a person who is in a position of trust, which is all of us.
During the recent "Drug Awareness" event I attended the keynote speaker gave us all the three "Cs" to guide us in our daily lives. I think that living by these "three Cs" is germane for every human being on this planet. They are:
  • Character
  • Courage
  • Commitment

I suspect that every adult who is reading this Blog Post already knows the definition of these individual words. I also know that it is often difficult to live up to these expectations. That stated, I trust that everyone desires to be known by his or her peers as a trustworthy person who can be counted on to assist one another when the need calls for assistance. This is the concept that Soldiers and Marines employ when they are in battle. They defend each other and they look out for each other. Of course this applies to individuals in their daily lives. I like to have people that I can trust around me at all times.

Reflecting back to the "Drug Awareness" program of a few days ago, we all need to know that we are judged by the company we keep. In that regard, I hope that I am in a circle of friends, neighbors, family, fellow church members and fellow citizens that I can trust.

The keynote speaker concluded his talk to us by telling us this key fact which should remind us of what life is all about: "The Road to success is not straight. The Road has all kinds of hazards."

So the reason for this Blog Post today is simple. I certainly appreciate the truth and look forward to hearing the truth in all situations. One thing is for certain, I do not appreciate being misled. I am also confident that the majority of humankind does not appreciate being misled.
I have fond memories of when my own children were in their youth and I suspected them of telling a lie. I often compared them to the "former lead singer for a music group known as 'Air Supply."' In other words, I knew they were blowing hot air and when I told them this they knew that I was on to the real situation. I am extremely grateful that these dear children are now grown up and are extremely trustworthy.
So, if I ever break out a recording of any music by "Air Supply" or even mention the musical group in your presence you know where I am coming from.
Thank You!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Flower Child: How is it that you are sometimes one step ahead of what is being published in the print media. I obtained a copy of the current issue of "Georgia Trend" magazine this morning as I conducted my weekly banking. The Georgia Trend magazine had a very insightful article about "Ethics." I would suggest that you obtain a copy of this magazine and turn to page 24 and read about ethics.