Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Career Launching Site
My Navy Career Started Here

This is a picture of the Clayton County, Iowa Court House in Elkader, Iowa. During my recent visit to spend time with my Siblings I traveled to Elkader to do some shopping. I also collected an abundance of pictures. As I passed this structure I decided that I would take a picture.
Way back in the Summer of 1961 after failing in College and also growing tired of working as a farm laborer for about two years I decided to enlist in the U. S. Military. The various recruiters visited the County Court Houses to acquire recruits. The day I traveled to Elkader the Navy Recruiter was there.
To weeks later I was on a bus traveling to the Armed Forces processing center in Des Moines, Iowa.
Thus my Navy Career of 21 years was launched at the Clayton County Court House in August 1961.


No comments: