Thursday, July 23, 2009

Job Fairs - Middle Georgia
Thursday, 23 JULY 2009
I have just finished the two local television stations report on the Job Fairs held in Middle Georgia today. The video journalist showed the lines and the people attending each of these events. Generally speaking I learned that about 3000 job seekers will attend the Macon event to gain employment at the New Hotel which will hire sixty people. I suspect that the management will have the option to be very selective.
As I viewed the television coverage many applicants were dressed for an interview and the prospect of gaining employment. What shocked me though was the number of potential employees that were dressed very casually and it appeared to me that they were not taking their personal employment search all to seriously.
The Macon Job Fair was seeking employees for what I would consider an upscale Hotel and I would suspect that if I were going to apply for a job there I would wear well shined shoes, dress trousers and maybe even a well pressed long sleeved shirt and maybe even a tie.
But I must admit that I am retired and I have no need for a job at this time, but for those who were interviewed by the television reporters I obtained the impression that most were not now employed. With the potential of only 60 hires of an applicant pool of at least 3000 I would hope that serious applicants would give some consideration to as how they presented themselves. Those who appeared to be well dressed will certainly stand out. I wish them well.

No comments: