Thursday, August 22, 2013

Debate Tax
only in
Macon/Bibb County Georgia

I recently returned to Middle Georgia after a sixteen day Holiday to visit Friends, Family and Siblings.  It was a wonderful trip.  Last evening as I viewed the local electronic media I was informed of a "Debate Tax" which was levied by the local Democrat Party as they presented the Candidates for Macon/Bibb Mayor Election which will be held in September 2013.  This election is to determine who will be the Mayor of the consolidated government which will become law on 1 January 2014.

I learned that those who desired to debate (present their ideas/platforms) were required to pay a $50.00 fee to the local Democrat Party.  If I observed the debate correctly on the electronic news  report it was held in the Macon City Hall.  I sincerely hope that the City of Macon as we know it today required a fee for the use of their "Peoples" Hall of Government.

All of the above stated as background information inasmuch as I observed the electronic news report I quickly thought of the long ago, now hopefully illegal "Poll Tax" which was used years ago to reduce the number of voters who could participate in an election.

As I pondered this Post I determined that "Poll Tax" is a noun and is a tax levied on every adult, without reference to  income or resources - often linked to the right to vote.  You and I know this was made illegal many years ago.

Which brings me to the question of the day!!!   Debate Tax is legal?  I would suspect that it is not, but then I suspect there is no law and/or regulation to impede the charging of this fee.  It is a shame and from my point of view it is step backwards to an era when people with power or who thought they had power restricted the basic rights that are a part of being a citizen of the United States of America.

What do you think?  Leave your comments here.  Should we ever approve the establishment of a "Debate Tax?"


No comments: