Monday, October 24, 2011



Mercer/Macon Symphony Youth
Orchestra

Monday, October 24, 2011

 It was my good fortune to attend the Concert presented at the Neva Fickling Music Hall on the Mercer University Campus.  I arrived early enough to obtain pictures of the Concert Hall prior to the set up for the Concert.  This Music Hall is a real treasure.
 I always obtain a center seat about five rows back from the Stage.  I appreciate Organ music and I have fond memories of attending several Organ Concerts in this Music Hall. 
During the "Warm Up" without the Director present on Stage I snapped this picture of the young performers.  I counted a total of 22 music makers.  I understand that these musicians come from all over Middle Georgia. 

During the performance I noted a String Bass player with an instrument that had two tags on it.  At first I thought of Minnie Pearl and how she always had a price tag hanging from her hat during her Nashville Country Music Performances.  Then I thought, most likely the Musician had broken the instrument where the tags were located with the cost of the repair on the tags.  Of course this was to remind the performer that it cost real money to repair an instrument.  During the performance I also noted one proud parent focused on this player with a video recording device.  After the Concert I inquired of the proud parent to tell me the story about the tags.  I was informed that the tags indicated that the String Bass was a loaner from Bibb County Central High School and that the performer was a Central High School Scholar who played the String Base.  Of course this generated a flash back for me when I recalled that one of my Sons also played String Base in the Central High School Orchestra several years ago.  I did talk to this performer and I wished him well with his Musical Studies.

The entire Concert was a real joy to listen to and to also view.  There were a total of 22 performers and they all displayed great enthusiasm for their craft. 

We were also  treated to an Oboe Quintet  performance, who performed one selection. 

 Each of these Musicians can be proud of their accomplishments and I look forward to their end of the year performance next Spring.

No comments: