Monday, October 10, 2011

Washington D.C.

The Debate

"Reducing the Cost of Military Retirement"
versus
"Protecting Our Nation and Our Interest"

As you can quickly ascertain, I am a U. S. Navy Veteran and I am retired and have been receiving the Military Retirement Benefits that I earned during my 21 years of service.

 This image of Sailor Alan (a.k.a. Flower Child" was taken in 1963 during my service in USS Ranger (CVA-61).  A CVA is an Attack Aircraft Carrier.  I served in this great ship as a Yeoman Striker in the Operations Department office.  The Operations Officer was a survivor of the Bataan Death March, so I was afforded the opportunity to learn an abundance of World War II history.  For that I am grateful.

This photo was taken in 1976 as I was serving in the USS John Paul Jones (DDG-32).  This great warship was a Guided Missile Destroyer and was homeported in Long Beach, California for a routine overhaul.  I am shown here outside of U. S. Navy housing in San Pedro, California

Now that you have viewed my version of a disclaimer, I am a Veteran and I have displayed the pictures to prove same, I desire to make the following statements.

I am concerned about the current debate in Washington D.C. regarding the future Military Retirement Benefits.  Some say "pensions."  I think that they are benefits.

When signing up for Military Service in this the age of the 'All Volunteer Force,' a young male or female signs a blank check indicating that they are agreeing to give their life for our Country.  Yet, we the  people are allowing the highest levels of our government to display contempt for these Heroes who serve a career in defense of our very way of life.

Yet, even our President lauds these Heroes when it is time to present "The Congressional Medal of Honor."  For those who may not know, This Medal is the highest medal that our Heroes can receive.  It is earned, not awarded.

So my concern today is:  "How can our High Level Officials and also our Duly Elected Leaders even consider any reduction in the Military Benefits for our Veterans?"  They have served their County well and now our Leaders/Officials are also considering balancing the U. S. Budget on the Backs of these Heroes.

If you can not appreciate this post, please take the time to visit a Military Cemetery.  I would suggest that those in Washington D.C. take a few hours of their precious time to visit Arlington National Cemetery.  All others can look up Arlington National Cemetery on the Internet, or even  more appropriate places like Andersonville in Georgia or any other Cemetery that contains the remains of our Nations Heroes.

Let us not allow our Elected Leaders and the Various Appointed Citizens take this opportunity to balance the U. S. Budget on the backs of our Nation's Heroes.




No comments: