Friday, October 28, 2011

Validate All

Continued

October 10, 2011 -  My Blog post that day was entitled "Validate All" wherein I discussed the need to allow our youth the opportunity to challenge themselves and to be involved in positive activities.  

We all know that our Education System is focused on Academics and Sport.  I would humbly suggest that there is more to life than Sport Activities.  Yes, inspite of the fact that I was involved in youth sports as a coach during the development days of my Sons; they were also allowed to participate in Scouts, 4-H and the Music Programs at their respective schools.

Recently I recalled how I was involved in a positive activity while I was young.  I was a member of the "Safety Patrol" at school.  This was a position of leadership and also trust.  I was selected because I suspect that my Teacher/s saw that I had potential.  As I reflect back on this opportunity I can realize that it did help me develop into a person that could be trusted.

I know that during the recent "School Building" phase of our Bibb County School System that everyone was often told that we needed more School Buildings at different locations so that more Scholars would have the opportunity to participate in the various extra activities that more schools would provide.

Yes, we have more Sport Teams and more Music Activities.  Yes, there is more opportunity for more Scholars to participate. 

Today I would like to suggest that another positive activity that we could have our Middle School Scholars participate in would be "Safety Patrol."  This activity is Sponsored in part by the American Automobile Association (AAA).

I understand that it is quite easy to implement and I suspect that it would receive the support of our Local Law Enforcment Agencies, both in the City and the County.  Additionally, it would give our Scholars yet another worthwhile activity to promote their own self development.  It would give Scholars who may not be interested in Sport or Music an appropriate venue/activity to learn Leadership.

I would suggest that the Teachers at these Middle Schools would also appreciate the opportunity to let their Scholars learn Leadership in a Hands On Manner. 

Therefore I am recommending that our Bibb County School Board give serious consideration to the establishment of a "Safety Patrol" Team.

The site on the world wide web is:  http://www.aaasouth.com/NewsAndSafety/ssp_index.aspx

If you do not reside in Bibb County Georgia and care about providing appropriate Leadership Activities for your School's Scholars I would suggest that you contact your Local School Board.

We all know and realize that our Youth like being involved in a "Group."  We often hear that this is the reason that some seek out "Gangs" which do not provide wholesome activities for our Youth.  Yet "Gangs" continue attract youth who are looking to be accepted.

So, maybe this Safety Patrol idea has merit.  I would suggest that it is certainly something that should be considered.

After all, what we are currently allowing/doing in Bibb County appears to be developing potential citizens who are, in some cases, focused on violence.  From my point of view this is happening all too often with too many of our Communities Youth.


No comments: