Sunday, October 16, 2011



ORGANIZED

Rhythm

I was most fortunate today because I determined to attend the Music and the Arts at Vineville United Methodist Church here in Macon, Georgia this afternoon.

This concert featured Clive Driskell-Smith performing the Organ and Joseph Gramley as the Percussionist.  This production is part of the Annual Music and the Arts at Vineville and it was the second in a series of eleven events which will conclude o June 10, 2012.

This series is also celebrating 20 years of Arts Opportunities in the Macon Community.  When I first read about today's performance I was determined to attend.  Never had I experienced an organ concert which also featured a percussion performer.  I was impressed and glad that I took the opportunity to attend this event.

The program included:

"The Planets," Op32 by Gustav Holst
"Pluto" commissioned by the performers
"Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity" also by Gustav Holst

"Bolero" by Pierre Cocheruau
"The Carnival of the Animals" by Camille Saint-Saens

Now, before you think that the Flower Child is caught up in classical music, may I remind you that his two Sons, while they were in Elementary School, Middle School and High School participated in Orchestra productions, Marching Band and even Concert Band competitions.  I also participated in Band when I was in High School.  I have always appreciated music and take the opportunity to attend various concerts here in Middle Georgia.

Of course I am looking forward to the balance of the Music and the Arts at Vineville which include Robert McDuffie and The American Boy Choir just to name a few.

The concert today which featured performers Clive Driskill-Smith and Joseph Gramley was a terrific event and certainly showcased the Organ at Vineville as well as the percussion instruments on loan from Stratford Academy here in Macon.  There were well over one hundred attendees at this event and I am confident that everyone was very surprised at the Organ/Percussion combination.  Lovely Music which certainly uplifted the Spirits of all.



No comments: