Thursday, January 08, 2009

"Hear Our Cry - Boys in Crisis"

Several Years ago, in fact it was in 2007 that I first learned about this book. As most of you know I have volunteered for several years in the Classrooms of the Bibb County School System. In fact I started in 1999 as a "Rolling Reader." I have read for students in all the elementary school grades through the 2007-2008 School Year. I am currently taking a break from reading in the school system.
When I first read this book I was impressed with the contents concerning educating Young Boys. In Chaper 2 entitled "The brains Behind the Man" in a section entitled Creating a More Boy Friendly Classroom I learned that the Author, Paul D. Slocumb recommends "Avoiding visually cluttered walls."

As I stated above, I have spend many hours in the Classrooms of the Bibb County School System as a volunteer reader during the 1999 - 2008 time frame. I will state here and now that I can not recall any class room that did not have a lot of pictures and paper work hanging on the walls. The Author also states that putting things in an orderly fashion helps young boys focus on the necessary work required in a classrom. The many distractions of clutter are a barrier in the learning process of young boys.

From my own point of view, I recall the School I attended from first through sixth grade. It had a real black board with the Cursive Writing/Penmanship Example Charts on the top of the blackboard. I recall a pull down Map Chart and a Globe near the teacher's desk. A very sparse classroom, but it must have been quite effective. During my High School years which were in the 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957 and 1958 era I was able to score reasonably well in the Iowa Test of Basic Skills. In fact my Mother collected the award ribbons and I have them mounted on my "I Love Me" High School Picture Frame. As you can quickly ascertain I place a lot of credit on my basic education on the very principle that the Author of the Book featured above encourages. Avoid Class Room Clutter when you are trying to educate Boys.

I would encourage our Educational Leaders to obtain a copy of this book today and to read, mark and inwardly digest the contents.

I certainly feel that if we all work together we can improve the Education we are providing our next generations of Citizens here in the United States of America.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I seldom leave comments on blog, but I have been to this post which was recommend by my friend, lots of valuable details, thanks again.