Monday, January 05, 2009

Society's Problem "Apathy"

Greetings. Earlier today I responded to a local talk radio show which was attempting to ascertain what listeners considered the most pressing problem facing Macon, Georgia. I responded with an E-Mail and here is a partial quite from that message:

"Macon's Biggest problem and thus the biggest problem for Bibb County.

Education................

If we do not correct our future society members in their youth, building more jails will not solve the problem. Therefore crime is a secondary result of our poor education system."

As I participated in keeping the gardens around my West Bibb County, Georgia home today I noted the situation that you see in the image above.

As I labored I gave some thought to why this would happen. I hit upon the word "apathy." Once I cleaned up from my Gardening I decided that I would Blog the word apathy today and make a few germane comments. First of all I ascertained the definition of the word which was reported as follows: "lack of interest or concern."

Based on this definition it appears that the drivers of automobiles here in West Bibb County have a lack of concern for their neighbors or fellow peoplekind. This is a shameful situation, yet it is also appropriate to evaluate our society from the standpoint of what is wrong. Maybe our largest and most difficult problem to overcome in our society today is lack of concern. Once we overcome apathy as a society maybe all of our fellow citizens who are licensed to operate vehicles will keep their vehicles on the roads. The picture above shows the edge of the road which is at least twenty-two feet wide. Plenty of room to operate a vehicle and still have half of the road for oncoming traffic.

It certainly would appear so. Our society as a whole is primarily self-centered and is always looking out for themselves. Note, our society as a whole is the statement I made in the previous sentence. I am also well aware that we do have concerned citizens living among us. For this we can all be glad and happy, but the problem we all face is we do not have enough concerned citizens at all levels. I suspect that a fair number of concerned citizens are now deployed in our U.S. Military doing what needs to be done to insure our freedoms.

What we need is more citizens to cast of "apathy" in their self-centered lives and become involved in projects for the good of all.

Thank You!!!!!

No comments: