Monday, January 12, 2009

Peace
or
Acquiring the Big Picture
I, the Flower Child, have vivid memories of my duty in the Operations Department Office of "The Top Gun of the United States Pacific Fleet, the USS Ranger (CVA-61). The Ranger was an attack aircraft carrier and the home of about 5000 proud Sailors. I was a port of Ranger's Crew for the 1963 Western Pacific Deployment.
The Operations Officer was a Commander Stanley. The Operations Administrative Assistant was a Lieutenant Stanley. Although they were not a Father and Son team, we, the enlisted members of the Operations Office Staff often thought that they were as we listened to their banter. Commander Stanley was a survivor of the Bataan Death March of World War II and Lieutenant Stanley was a brillian young, capable young Navy Officer who was selected to be the Officer of the Deck any time we practiced or actually held "General Quarters."
For those who may not know, General Quarters is either the practice of Battle Stations or the "Real Thing."
During their banter Commander Stanley often reminded Lieutenant Stanley that he needed to acquire the "Big Picture."
Today, I will discuss the word "Peace." For years I have not understood this phrase - "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ jesus." This phrase was written by Saint Paul to the early church in the Roman Colony of Philippi. This area was of great importance as the gold-producing region of Macedonia.
Peace, the often used word during the Christmas Season caused me to think of "Peace on Earth." A viable goal, yet as I recalled history and also our curren tworld situation I have often thought that this is really an impossible goal, yet a valid objective. Recently, on December 30th to be exact, I had the opportunity to read and to contimplate the phrase "Prince of Peace."
This phrase was stated in Isaiah 9:6. The writer of the study I was reading stated: "The Christ Child the "Prince of Peace" had much more in mind than world peace." The reading also reminded me of this when I read a follow on sentence: "If everyone practiced the Golden Rule, doing unto others as he wanted them to do unto him," the real peace in this World could indeed be achieved. The lesson learned here was that we could have peace if everyone practiced the Golden Rule.
The reading went on to clearly explain that the Prince of Peace came to earth to make it possible for peace that can be obtained "when the war between God and man, caused by sin, is over." The peace that I had not understood prior to conducting this reading will only be obtainable in heaven. This is the goal of all who believe in the work performed by "The Prince of Peace!!!!"
This is the Peace of God, available only in heaven, which is so difficult for me to comprehend at this time. Yet this peace that I will receive in eternal life in heaven is what "true peace" is all about. Then I will understand the word peace perfectly.
Then, and only then will I acquire "The Big Picture."
Have a great day.

No comments: