Wednesday, September 28, 2011




Honoring Our Nations

Heroes


Several years ago, The Federated Garden Clubs of Macon, Inc. dedicated this Blue Star Memorial Marker at the Rest Stop on I-75 Southbound on Veterans Day.  The Blue Star Memorial Marker program is a project of the National Garden Clubs, Inc.  The Blue Star Program was first established in 1945 in the State of New Jersey.

The Blue Star Memorial Marker Program honors all Veterans "Who Have Served,"  "Who Are Serving," and those who "Will Serve our Nation in the Future."



The above picture was captured at 8:36 A.M. on September 28th, 2011.  The Pine Ridge Garden Club in Macon, Georgia determined that the landscaping for this Memorial Marker needed to be appropriately upgraded.  Therefore the Garden Club agreed to expend $135.00 at their September Meeting.  By the time all of the required items were purchased a total of $162.00 was expended for this project.


The Landscaping Project took three Purple Muhly Grass plants and three Gold Mop Cypress plants.  Two rolls of edging and three bags of garden soil and seven bags of large pine bark nuggets.


As a member of the Pine Ridge Garden Club, I volunteered my time to conduct this landscaping project.  As indicated above, I commenced at 8:36 A.M. and the final picture was taken at 11:34 A.M. 


The Hostesses at the Macon Welcome Center even saw to it that I had Coffee to consume as I worked on this project.  One of them even took this picture of the completed landscaping.


Any  landscaping project worth performing must also have a bit of "bling."  Here I am modeling my Stainless Steel Shovel with a close up of the six plants.  The light on the right side of the circle illuminates the U. S. Flag which is at the top of the pole.

I enjoyed performing this project and would remind My Readers here that Veterans Day 2011 will soon be here.  I completed this landscape scheme so that this "Blue Star Memorial Marker" will always look good for the thousands of travelers who pass through this Rest Area each day.  Additionally, the planting should remain colorful and vibrant for years to come as we all pause during our travels to Honor our Heroes.

"May God Continue to Bless America"

2 comments:

Norma said...

The shovel does not look a bit dirty? Are you sure you used it:)

Alan said...

This is the shovel I used for pictures and other cermonies. The shovel I used for the actual work is quite well worn and even a bit rusty on the edges.