Wednesday, September 25, 2013


Alan's Fifth Year of 4-H
1956
This year I had annotated the pictures so there is no need for my caption.  I enjoyed the club work and also took my Jersey Heifer to the Iowa State Fair in Des Moines, Iowa.  





Again, I will quote my 4-H Story which I wrote in my Record Book for the year 1956:


     My name is Alan Thiese and this is my fifth year in the Jefferson Go-Hawks 4-H Club.

     This year the Special activity for our County was Tractor Maintenance, our Club attend the meetings and worked on the books at our Monthly meetings.  Our Club held 12 meetings and I have been present for them all.   This year I was Club President and the Club's camera man.

    This year I had two registered projects.  A Jersey and a Herford Heifer.  I selected these projects so I might have an early start in building a herd of beef and dairy.  At the fairs the Judges said that my dairy calf was overfitted.  The only thing I fed my calf was oats, but I and cutting down on Oats, but I am cutting down on Oats, because I plant to take her to the Dairy Cattle Congress.  I bought my Jersey from David N. Olmsted.

     I took my Herford to the County Fair and received a blue ribbon, after the Fair I put her on pasture.  The things I learned with my Jersey were:  Proper feeding, how to fit a dairy calf, how to train a dairy calf, and how to make a calf blanket.  The things I learned with my Herford which I bought from Carl Zauche, of Pesta were:  how to train horns, proper feeding, and clipping.

     The 4-H activities I participated in were:  Judging and Demonstrations, and the 4-H Rally last Fall.  My demonstration entitled, "Air Cleaner Care" was third best in County competition of six.  In Livestock Judging at the county Fair I was fifth high with 310 points out of a possible 350.  

     Our Club received first prize in barn participation at the County fair. 

     This year was very interesting year for me, the most exciting was attending the State Fair.

                                                                            The End

    





No comments: