Thursday, September 05, 2013

Mini USS Ranger (CVA-61) Reunion
in
Iowa
After visiting my Siblings, Family and Friends in Northeast Iowa My Bride and I traveled to Altoona, Iowa to visit with a Ranger Shipmate and his Bride.  Enroute we had a lovely Dinner (About Noon) at the Amana Colonies in Amana, Iowa.  The next morning my fellow USS Ranger Shipmate and I decided that it would be very appropriate to welcome the final attendee to this Mini Ranger Reunion with appropriate recognition.  We decided to make Pete a "Welcome to Iowa Lei" such as we received when we visited Hawaii as crewmembers of the USS Ranger.

After acquiring sweet corn from the local vendor we set
out to make a corn husk Lei for Pete.  This picture and the
following three show Marv and I constructing this "Welcome to
Iowa" Lei.




After the Lei was constructed we determined that
it needed to be field tested.  Here Marv and I pose
with his flags in his front gardens

Here is Pete as we picked him up at the Des Moines International
Airport.  His Bride quickly picked up on the significance of the Lei.  
She stated something like this is just like arriving in Hawaii.

On the way back to our Bed and Breakfast in Altoona managed
by Marv and his Bride we stopped here for a photo op and to
also see where we would go to see the Iowa Cubs Game during
the Mini Reunion




Marv, Pete with his Bride and myself, the Blog Editor.  You will
note that Pete's Bride is now wearing the Lei.

I am not aware of anyone ever welcoming a visitor to Iowa with a Corn Husk Lei.  It is possible that Marv and I may have started a tradition.  

No comments: