Thursday, March 07, 2013


Sequestration
Day Seven

I believe I was twenty-five years old and it was early in 1965 when this picture was taken.  I had attended Church and decided that I would go see what the White House looked like on a pleasant Spring day. 

I was walking around Lafayette Park, which is directly North of the White House when a photographer approached me and suggested that I have my picture taken with the President's Home in the background.  I recall that the price was $5.00 and I took the opportunity to have my picture taken.

Lafayette Park is now known as  "Presidents Park" and the area around the White House has changed since 1965.  I often wonder what my life would have been like if I had accepted a job as a Procurement Trainee as a civil servant and remained in Washington, D.C. at the end of my first enlistment in the U. S. Navy.  However, I decided just two days prior to my expiration of active obligated service (EAOS) to re-enlist in the Navy for a period of six years so that I could receive orders to Shore Duty in London, Engand.

Today as our United States of America hears a lot about Sequestration and the impact on everybody I wonder where my path as a Civilian would have taken me. 

My major concern as I hear  or read the news in the local Middle Georgia Media about eliminating one day out of five for the employees at the Warner Robins Air Force Base has me confused because I do not comprehend a twenty percent reduction in government pay rolls as quite necessary.  If a twenty percent reduction is required to meet the requirements of Sequestration I compute the U. S. Budget as $425,000,000.000.00  I know that this is not accurate, therefore my concern about a twenty percent reduction in hours worked. 

Maybe I should have stayed in Washington, D.C. to help our Nation's Leaders compute the funds necessary to continue to operate our Great United States of America.  Who knows what the future holds?


No comments: